Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Reading more Classics

I intend to say more about the book groups on The Iliad and The Odyssey. Murasaki looks forward to more slow shared reads, but I wonder if she's ready for the next one. I'm not sure I am, but one thing about book groups...sometimes you read a book you wouldn't otherwise, and usually you are pleasantly surprised.

Moby-Dick: A Pop-Up BookI figure I need a month for Moby-Dick. After that, Virgil's Aeneid, also translated by Robert Fagles. I'm going to give that one two weeks, as that's about all I'll have. I seem to recall from my college days it was an easier read than Homer.

I'm kind of interested in the Pop-Up Moby Dick, cover shown here.




My planned schedule:

Moby Dick

  • December 21-27: Chapters 1-34
  • Dec 28-January 3: Chapters 35-68
  • January 4-10: Chapters 69-100
  • January 11-17: Chapter 101 to The End
The Aeneid
  • January 18-24: Books 1-6
  • January 25-31: Books 7-12
So go ahead, reserve your library books and join me. And make comments. If I know you're reading along, I'll be better at keeping to my schedule. The readings are just about the right size for an average bus commute, think about that.

2 comments:

Jason Sacks said...

Sure, I'll read Moby-Dick with you.

Anonymous said...

yes I will too