Monday, March 31, 2008

The Printz Award Challenge

Some of those memes that make the circuit of the blogging world are reading challenges. People commit to reading a certain number of books from a certain list in a certain amount of time. In fact, one of the challenge bloggers I'm joining is "absolutely obsessed with reading challenges." I've decided to participate in the Printz Award Challenge. I can handle reading 6 young adult books that I just might read anyway. I have until the end of the year. Indeed I've previously read 3 of them: Skellig by David Almond; Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, by Louise Rennison; and A Step from Heaven by An Na.

The Michael J Printz Award is given by YALSA, which is part of the American Library Association. The list of winners and honors books can be found here.

My list to read before 2009:

  • The Book Thief (audio) by Markus Zusak [2007 Honor book]
  • The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation; v. 1: The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson [2007 Honor book]
  • how i live now by Meg Rosoff [2005 Winner]
  • The First Part Last by Angela Johnson [2004 Winner]
  • Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going [2004 Honor book]
  • Monster by Walter Dean Myers [2000 Winner]

I may just add American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang as a bonus. It is a graphic novel, not something I'm usually interested in reading, but it is the winner for 2007.

No comments: