Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Non-Fiction Books Read

The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder The Prosecution of George W Bush for Murder by Vincent Bugliosi
rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read about 1/3 of the book and still did not get to the prosecution part. Bugliosi is long-winded and full of anger at Bush. He has good reason, but he didn't say anything new to this peace activist. I wasn't necessarily looking for something new, but I was looking for a rational case. No doubt it's there, but he lost me in the opening argument. I agree with him, George W Bush doesn't really care about his country, but Bugliosi wasn't proving anything by making the case for that. If you want to feel good about your anger towards GWB, then you'll like this book. That wasn't something I wanted to spend my time with.

I'm glad the author is, indeed he's making the case to congress. I'm not sure when this happened, but here's the scrappy guy urging them to refer GWB to the justice department for murder.

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama (audio)
rating: 3 of 5 stars

Obama reads this himself. He sounds very much like a minister: kind, sincere, and with that declamatory cadence I recall from my childhood churches.



While I don't, I can't, appreciate his every even-handed anecdote, such as his meeting George W Bush for the first time and liking him, or his admiration for Reagan, I do admire and respect his political acumen. The title is "Audacity of Hope" but this is not about pipe dreams...I tentatively believe that if anyone can repair the damage done to the American political landscape, it could be this man.

His every word has respect for others, for the process, and for this country. Each chapter is a treatise on his views, and these are rational, methodical, respectful, and smart. Some worry me, like his admiration for Reagan policies, if I remember correctly. What gives me hope is his ability to work with those he disagrees with, if this book is any indication.


View all my reviews.

No comments: