Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yay!


While some people have taken pains to point out Barack Obama could not be considered the peace candidate, I suspect he made his plans sound more aggressive for the campaign.

It isn't just that this is a historic moment, our voting in a mixed race black candidate...everything I've heard Obama say tells me he could change the way politics is done in this country. Those of us voting for him, not simply against the past regime did so because he avoided divisive rhetoric and conducted a calm and rational campaign. We are so ready for reality-based thinking.

Several times I have heard him say this is about you, and it was clear he meant it. He knew, he knows, what the American people ask of him, and what we have done for him. I read that he had 5 million volunteers. I believe that is unprecedented. Also unprecedented is the multi-layered grassroots nature of his campaign. It had to be so, for him to overcome the many election blocks the Republicans were attempting in key states. People in some states, in Democratic precincts, waited in line for hours to vote. People were indeed turned away as not registered, even though they were. Despite particularly horrendous disenfranchisement in Pennsylvania and Virginia, Barack won there. I'm so happy my worst fears were wrong.

These are my favorite two sentences from his speech tonight. This is what leads me to believe his message of hope and change. So much of the truth has been stolen from us. He will give it back. Our wish for peaceful response has been stolen from us. With this attitude he may give that back too.

We know that the government cannot solve all our problems, but I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you especially when we disagree.
What an incredible difference that will make in this country and in the world.

No comments: