Monday, November 13, 2006

Books Read

(these book lists are really to help me remember i read them. ah for the younger days when i remembered the things i read.)

Bloody Bones by Laurell K Hamilton

An Anita Blake Vampire Hunter novel. Still has those sexy BDSM undertones. I imagine I'd find a certain type of person at the scifi conventions who just loves these books and mostly goes there to get laid. There's a really neat afterword by the author, written 10 years later. She looks back and sees how this book really changed the direction of the relationship between Anita (vampire hunter) and Jean-Claude (vampire master of the city). She also talks about how she sees her own personal process through her writing. She also points out how this book is the first one with an actual sex scene and how some readers don't notice it (I did) perhaps because it wasn't the main characters. It was very SM-laden.

Find Me by Rosie O'Donnell ....got that covered

Tithe by Holly Black

I read this before, but I checked it out because I wanted to skim and remind myself of the story before I start on Valient, the sequel. I skimmed for about 5 pages, then found myself simply reading. It's a teen fantasy skating along that dark edge of faerie. Great for those social outcasts, which are, well, all teens. It has a little bit of romance, fairy tale ending of course, a little bit of adventure, and the most important ingredient of all, special powers and magic.

Witch and Curse, books 1 and 2 of the series Wicked by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie

Purely witch fantasy escape fiction. Holly comes from a long line of powerful witches but she doesn't know it. Her parents and best friend die because of it, and a Montague/Capulet battle ensues along with a doomed (or is it...more books may tell) Romeo/Juliet love story. Epic magic battles rage on land and sea, seen as great storms and killer whales by the regular folk. I read this because I found it while looking for fantasies for teens as I was working reference. Of course what I found was the 2nd book, and I had to send away for the 1st. There are better books like this out there (confirming my reluctance to read books by 2 authors) but if someone is already hooked on this genre, it's good. The series Sweep by Cate Tiernan probably a better example of the genre. It certainly seems to have a greater fan base.

Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold

Came across this from someone on my college alumni list. Straight science fiction about orbiting space stations and the humans engineered genetically to live in such places. Many of those books written by men miss some of the subtle interconnected details that are implied by these future worlds. This one includes a rather condemning outcome from capitalist amorality. Very classic, with the main character a crusty engineer type.

No comments: