Saturday, November 18, 2006

Email from Antarctica

I got email and photos sent to me from McMurdo Station in Antarctica. My friend Tina shared that she just finished survival school. This mom, adventurer, scientist, pacifist...I could go on...said, "The weather was very fine, clear skies and around - 9 C so we had plenty of opportunity for recreation, thus Amie and I built the meditation maze."

antarctica meditation maze

That and this next one are my favorite pictures she sent. The only way you know who's inside is by the name patch. That tickles me for some reason.

Tina in antarctica

She confirmed for me that her patch says "United States Antarctic Program National Science Foundation." She said, "The local nickname for the parka is 'big red,' as in "you can use your big red as an extra insulating layer over your sleeping bag." She's using snowmobiles and airplanes to travel to different camps, and has email when at McMurdo, unlike her last expedition 14 years ago.

1 comment:

Regal said...

TAG - you're it - c'mon over and read my blog and see what's in store for you - hope you have the time to participate. Happy Thanksgiving!