Thursday, February 21, 2008

Asthma Redux

I just reviewed the book Allergy and Asthma Relief, and realized I left out a couple of helpful things to know about asthma.

You might have asthma if:

  • You just spent some time walking fast or running in the cold air, and now you can't stop coughing
  • You can't seem to shake that cough and your cold was over 2 weeks ago
  • Your chest feels tight or you feel an urge to cough and you've noticed a possible trigger earlier in your day, like cigarette smoke or high pollen count
  • You get a respiratory infection and you think back and realize it started with a coughing fit

If you think you might have asthma and you've been getting some of those symptoms, but you don't have an inhaler, drink some coffee. Coffee really helps. If you don't have coffee, drink some water, breathe slowly and deeply, yoga style.

I don't have asthma episodes very often, but with my cold a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't shake that cough. I've been using the inhaler for several days, but today I decided to start my day with some coffee. It worked. That was the one thing I missed about coffee when I quit...small asthma attacks loomed more frequently.

No comments: